Updated: May 25, 2021
Who doesn't love a good pizza?!? We already have the best and easiest dough recipe, and tomato sauce recipe, so whats next? Lets get some good toppings and make some pizza!
margherita - fresh mozzarella, fresh basil, tomato sauce, extra virgin olive oil drizzle
mozzarella cheese - low moisture or fresh
meats: pepperoni, sausage - cooked and crumbled, or sliced thin, sliced meatballs, bacon crumbles
caramelized onions, goat cheese, fresh or wilted spinach
Lets get cooking
Follow the video instructions on how to make this pizza!
1. Be sure to let your dough rest on the counter and get to room temperature so its easy to stretch out. Turn on your pizza oven to high, or kitchen oven with pizza stone at the bottom rack to 500 or higher. The Ooni can get up to full temperature within 15 minutes, so give yourself at least that much time to get the pizza prepped before you put it in to cook.
2.Stretch out the dough so that it is roughly 8-12 inches in diameter. Be sure to pay attention to how big your pizza stone and pizza oven is so that you aren't making them too big. You want to be able to see some light through the middle of the dough once its stretched, then youre ready.
Don't make it too thin otherwise the sauce and toppings will cause it to fall apart and make a huge mess. Pizza stones are not mess friendly and are a nightmare to clean up if you spill too much :(
3. Add flour, semolina, or cornmeal to the pizza peel and place the dough there for toppings. You want to be quick at this point so that you can get it in and out quickly. Give the dough a shake so that it easily slides off the peel or surface so you can slide it into the pizza oven or kitchen oven.
4. Add just enough sauce to barely coat the surface, too much and it will make your crust soggy or fall apart, and it will overpower the flavors of your toppings.
5. Add cheese and then remaining toppings to your heart's desire. You can also brush some olive oil or butter on the crust for added flavor.
6. If you are using goat cheese or fresh herbs like basil, or extra virgin olive oil, you can either add them last or top them once the pizza is cooked so that they don't wilt or overheat. I prefer melty goat cheese, but I don't like wilted basil, so it's all up to you!
7. If you are using a pizza oven, make sure you are rotating the pizza every 30 seconds to avoid burning that side. With the Ooni, I do 3 - 30 second rotations for even cooking and a perfect crust. For a kitchen oven, it is also good to rotate about halfway through or 2-4 minutes.
8. Carefully pull out the pizza with a pizza peel and let it cool down for a couple of minutes to avoid burning the roof of your mouth!