Pizza oven Shrimp
Updated: May 25, 2021
Using a pizza oven to cook your shrimp creates a juicy and flavorful shrimp. Since the oven does most of the work, you just need some simple ingredients to bring it all together. You can also do this using your kitchen oven broiler.
1 lb Shrimp - I prefer deveined jumbo with the tail on for better presentation
1 tsp salt
1 Tbsp olive oil or preferred oil
pinch of pepper
1-2 cloves of pressed or chopped garlic optional
- you can also you your favorite seasoning mix like old bay, or a seafood rub instead of salt
Cast Iron Griddle - they fit perfectly in the oven with plenty of headroom, and can take the heat of the pizza oven.
Lets get cooking
1. Preheat your pizza oven or kitchen oven broiler to the broil setting.
2. Peel and devein the shrimp if you bought them whole. If they were frozen, run them under cold water in a sieve until thawed. If you buy them shell on deveined, they still maintain their fresh flavor even when frozen, and are much easier to deal with!
Pro Tip: Save the shells to make a quick seafood stock.
3. Place the shrimp into a bowl that you can close or cover with a lid or saran wrap. Add the oil, salt, pepper, garlic or seasoning mix you will be using and toss gently. Cover the bowl and place in the fridge for at least 15 minutes. *Don't add salt/seasoning if you plan to keep the shrimp in the fridge for more than a 4-6 hours to prevent them from getting dry and rubbery.
3. When you are ready to go, grab a cast iron skillet, and drizzle with a tiny bit of oil, just enough to coat the bottom. Add your shrimp onto the pan and place them in the pizza oven or broiler.
4. Let them cook for 1-2 minutes, then flip them with tongs and cook for another 1-2 minutes until they are translucent.
5. Take your wonderfully aromatic sizzling shrimp straight to the table and impress your dining guests at the easy dish you just made for them!