Updated: Sep 25, 2020
Rice is probably my most favorite carb, followed closely by fries...and bread...annnnndddd just give me all the carbs! Rice is easy if you can do it right, and this recipe will help steer you to the fluffiest, tastiest, prettiest rice you ever had!
This recipe makes a great base ingredient to add to other meals or dishes, like a Buddha bowl, burrito, biriyani, or as a side of its own. You can add other simple ingredients to take it to the next level, like cilantro, peas, red onion, or cumin seeds.
1 cup Basmati Rice
1 1/2 cups water or vegetable/chicken stock *if you use stalk, it may change the color of the rice, so keep that in mind if you are thinking of presentation, also mix the stock if you want a more subtle flavor because it can overwhelm the rice.
1 Tbsp butter or oil
1 tsp salt
1 Bay leaf
1 Tbsp cumin seeds
Peas - frozen preferred
Lets get cooking
1. Add the oil into a sauce pan or pot (that you can cover with a lid) on medium high heat.
2. Once the oil is shimmering but not smoking, add the rice. Stir to coat the rice with the oil, and you should start seeing the rice turn a more opaque color. If you want to enhance the flavor more for you can add in a bay leaf, or 1 Tbsp cumin seeds at this point.
3. Once you smell a nutty fragrance, the water or stock is ready to add. Pour that in and add the salt. Gently give the pot a quick stir to prevent the rice from clumping.
4. Wait for the pot to get back up to bubbling, then turn the heat down to simmer and cover with the lid.
5. Cook for 9-12 minutes, do not peak or open it before at least 9 minutes! If you see there is still water at the bottom, cover it again and continue for another 1-2 minutes, and repeat until all of the water has evaporated. If you are adding frozen peas, add them now, mix the pot, and cover with the lid for another 1-2 minutes until the peas thaw and turn a vibrant green.
6. Uncover the pot and let the rice steam out for a minute, then you can gently stir it all together and fluff, and remove the bay leaf at this point. You are ready to serve!